Hands On Time:
- Combine the water, corn syrup, ginger and the 2 ¼ cups sugar in heavy bottomed pot and bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl mix together the pectin and the remaining ¼ cup sugar.
- Once the liquid is boiling, pour half of it over the sugar-pectin mix and whisk together, getting out all lumps.
- Pour all liquid back into the pot, boil and heat, whisking constantly until a candy thermometer reads 220 degrees.
- Strain onto a baking sheet that has been sprayed with pan coating or covered with plastic wrap.
- Let stand at room temperature for one hour, cut into desired shapes (small rectangles are a good start), toss in sugar and lay out onto a separate baking sheet to dry.
- If necessary, toss the candies in more sugar to provide a nice crust, and refrigerate.
About the recipe
These sweet candies pop with the flavor of fresh ginger. You can substitute other flavors--such as cherry, strawberry, or orange—if you keep the proportions the same.
We'd love your feedback!
Have you made this recipe? Are there any tips or tricks you think we should add? Click below to take a short survey and share your thoughts.