Hands On Time:
- Combine the water, corn syrup, ginger and the 2 ¼ cups sugar in heavy bottomed pot and bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl mix together the pectin and the remaining ¼ cup sugar.
- Once the liquid is boiling, pour half of it over the sugar-pectin mix and whisk together, getting out all lumps.
- Pour all liquid back into the pot, boil and heat, whisking constantly until a candy thermometer reads 220 degrees.
- Strain onto a baking sheet that has been sprayed with pan coating or covered with plastic wrap.
- Let stand at room temperature for one hour, cut into desired shapes (small rectangles are a good start), toss in sugar and lay out onto a separate baking sheet to dry.
- If necessary, toss the candies in more sugar to provide a nice crust, and refrigerate.
About the recipe
These sweet candies pop with the flavor of fresh ginger. You can substitute other flavors--such as cherry, strawberry, or orange—if you keep the proportions the same.