Whether you’re saying goodbye to 2017 in sequins and heels and dancing all-night, or you're sitting solo on the sofa with a bottle of bubbly, this mix of old and new, cynical and celebratory, and upbeat and mellow tunes will get you through the evening.
1. Europe: “The Final Countdown”
Cult classic Arrested Development devotees will recognize this as Gob’s “illusion” song. For the rest of you, it’s just that cheesy '80s classic. Either way, it’s appropriate for the occasion.
2. Ella Fitzgerald: “What are You Doing New Year’s Eve?”
A romantic, wistful classic from the Queen of Jazz, whom we’re guessing never spent the holiday alone.
3. Chance the Rapper featuring Knox Fortune: “All Night”
Pretty much every partygoer's motto on New Year’s Eve.
4. First Aid Kid: “New Year’s Eve”
“Well, it’s a new year, with it comes new hope and new fears.” This Swedish sister duo captures the angst and anticipation of flipping the calendar to a new year.
5. Drake, WizKid and Kyla: “One Dance”
Guaranteed to get even the wallflowers out on the floor for one dance — maybe more.
6. Death Cab for Cutie: “The New Year”
In the opening line of this song, frontman Ben Gibbard sings, "So this is the new year, and I don’t feel any different.” A sentiment the holiday’s cynics and critics can embrace.
7. Stevie Wonder: “Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours)"
It’s impossible not to dance, smile or have a good time while listening to this song.
8. Prince: “Kiss”
Ditto to this classic, even if your night ends without one.
9. DNCE and Nicki Minaj: “Kissing Strangers”
Drink too much Champagne, and this might be your fate for the night.
10. David Bowie: “Let’s Dance”
It’s hard to believe it’s been almost two years since we lost this British rock legend, but we’re grateful he left us with great party tunes like this one.
11. Portugal. The Man: “Feel it Still”
This upbeat, feel-good track was inescapable the other 364 days this year, so why skip a day?
12. Zedd and Alessia Cara: “Stay”
This song is a whiny, self-indulgent, and a little bit desperate. Sounds about right for New Year’s Eve.
13. The Allman Brothers: “Midnight Rider”
RIP Greg Allman, and thanks for epic tunes like this one.
14. Snoop Dogg and Wiz Kalifa, featuring Bruno Mars: “Young, Wild, & Free”
This ultimate carefree anthem, brought to you by a trifecta of rap and R&B talent.
15. Brandi Carlile: “Beginning to Feel the Years”
Feeling your age a bit? Let Carlile’s ethereal voice ease the pain with lyrics like: "I'm beginning to feel the years/But I'm going to be ok/As long as you're beside me along the way."
16. Justin Timberlake: “Drink You Away”
Reeling from a bad breakup? Just done with 2017? JT’s smooth voice will sooth all your troubes.
17. Sia: “Chandelier”
It’s not a real party until someone’s swinging from the chandelier.
18. Nickel Creek: “Rest of Your Life”
“The battle is over/Here we all lie/In a dry sea of Solo cups/With the sun in our eyes” pretty much sums up the aftermath of New Year’s Eve.
To listen to the playlist now, click the playlist image below.
Follow Southern_Kitchen on Spotify to see all playlists